Monday, March 06, 2006

The Oscars

I thought Jon Stewart was hilarious, no matter what some reviewers think. But it did seem as if his jabs made the audience a little uncomfortable, especially the early ones like "Usually you can't see this many celebrities in one place unless you donate to the Democratic Party! But this is an exciting night. It's the first time many of you have ever voted for a winner!" He lost the Hollywood crowd after that, and never seemed to get them back.
My favorite moment came right after the long back-patting historical montage of "socially conscious" movies, movies about racism, oppression, genocide, etc...after which Stewart came out, totally deadpan, and said "and none of those things was ever a problem again." Nervous titters from the assembled glitterati, but I was rolling on the floor laughing.
As far as the winners..well, the only nominated movie I've seen is "Walk the Line," so I'll refrain from commenting on other ones I know nothing about.
And as for the Oscar audience: Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke.

2 comments:

Stacey Cochran said...

My wife and I watched the (I'm not ashamed to admit) Oprah recap of the Oscars last night. From the Kodak theater.

That's power.

I think my favorite moment from Oscar night was Three 6 Mafia winning the best original song category for "It's Hard Out Here for A Pimp" right after they had just performed it. That was fun.

Hustle and Flow is damn good movie, btw, if you ain't seen it yet.

Stacey

Conky said...

the joke about bjork and cheney was killer hahahhahahaha