Thursday, June 14, 2007

Letters, Oh We Get Letters

From ThePilot.com :

This will be short and to the point. If John Q Public wrote a letter to your paper saying awful things like those that Dusty Rhoades said (column on Scooter Libby, June 10), especially if they were Republican, his letter would immediately be trashed.

I take exception to the nastiness of this man, whether he be Democrat or Republican. He writes for you, so let's just leave it at that. I feel that rant on Sunday was at best sophomoric and at worst mean-spirited. It will be an absolute crime if you do not print my letter and let this guy rant and rave every week.

I would just like to close by saying if we could all approach politics on a more gentlemenly [sic] level, we would all be much better served.

Well, you know what? He's right. And as soon as someone apologizes for six years of calling me and people like me who opposed Commander Cuckoo Bananas' insane war "traitors" and "supporters of terrorism," I may just try it.

I look back on the stuff I wrote before the Second Gulf War and I'm amazed at how moderate and reasonable I was back then...and I still got e-mails telling me I was a "Benedict Arnold" and suggesting I should be hanged. So I figured, well, might as well let it all hang out, since the Yay-hoos were going to trash me anyway. And ya know what? I never looked back.

You think I'm too nasty to poor Scooter? Well boo-hoo-hoo. As far as I'm concerned if you aren't also standing up and decrying "nastiness" when the Bill O'Reilly's of this world are insisting that liberals "want America to lose," then you can just sit right the hell down now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dusty, I love you.

Here's a link to some thoughts of mine on a similar topic, from a couple of years ago:
http://starcat-jewel.livejournal.com/50900.html

David Terrenoire said...

I remember being surprised when Rich Bond, then the head of the RNC, said that people like us (not Republicans) weren't real Americans.

Since then I've been called an anti-American, pro-terrorist, pro-abortion, moonbat suffering from BDS (Bush Derangement Syndrome).

I'm done being nice.

If you haven't heard it, Dusty, look for Hammell on Trial's song "Fuck it." It'll speak to you, I promise.

Josephine Damian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Josephine Damian said...

Dusty,

Did you know that Scooter Libby is a novelist? He wrote "The Apprentice" (not, it's not about an ego-maniac with a reality TV show).

Here's a copy and paste from the Publisher's Weekly review:

"Although set in Japan in 1903, Libby's first novel avoids the exoticism and antiquarianism of James Clavell and sets its own tightly dreamlike tone.

"Setsuo, apprentice innkeeper at an isolated mountain hostel in Northern Japan, finds himself marooned with a dubious cast of travelers during a blizzard. His youthful naivete unfortunately draws him not only to a mysterious young woman with a band of itinerant performers but also to a half-frozen and half-crazed visitor.

"When this stranger flees back into the storm, Setsuo and another guest separately pursue him, leading to robbery and murder.

"With rumors of political intrigue enveloping the action and the apprentice in possession of a Macguffin as enigmatic as a haiku image, Libby maintains a sense of mystery and claustrophobia through pared-down prose and minimalist characterization.

"Setsuo's love interest, for instance, is simply the "girl in the cloak of yellow fur" for much of the novel. Even after he learns her name is Yukiko, her actions, history and motives remain ambiguous to the end.

"Spare and muted, Libby's debut has distilled his diplomatic experiences in Japan with the U.S. State and Defense Departments into a subtle, if sometimes attenuated, story of innocence and temptation halfway across the world and a century ago."

My book club threatened to mutiny when I suggested we read Libby's book, and that was long before the Plame betrayal.

Someday, I'll get around to reading it. I find it interesting that he's an fellow scribe. More than anything, I can't wait till they throw his a-- in jail!

Josephine