Thursday, October 23, 2008

"Instead of Attacking McCain All the Time, Why Don't You Tell Us Why We Should Vote for Obama?"

Ask and ye shall receive:



At a defining moment like this, we don't have the luxury of relying on the same political games, the same political tactics, that we've become accustomed to. This slash-and-burn politics that divides us from one another... which the challenges and crises we face right now, we can't afford to divide this country. By race, by class, by region, by who we are, by what policies we support. Let me tell you something, because I know you've been hearing a lot of stuff lately. There are no real parts of the country and fake parts of the country. There are no pro-America parts of the country and anti-America parts of the country. We all love this country. No matter where we live. Or where we come from. ...

Black, white, Hispanic, Asian, Native American, young, old, rich, poor, gay, straight, city dwellers, farm dwellers, it doesn't matter, we're all together [...] The men and women from Virginia and all across this country who serve on our battlefields. Some are Democrats, some are Republicans, some are independents. But they fought together, and bled together, and some of them died together under the same flag. They didn't serve a blue America, or a red America, they served the United States of America. Nobody should forget that.

And that's what Barack Obama is all about, Charlie Brown.

11 comments:

Bill Cameron said...

I bet yer a commie

JD Rhoades said...

You have nothing to lose but your chains, Bill.

L.J. Sellers said...

I read your blog to be inspired that Obama CAN really win. Thanks!

inkgrrl said...

Rock on hotstuff.

Kuaikuai said...

Is it my imagination, or haven't I seen your column in the Pilot lately? Miss ya!

Anonymous said...

It's still just talk. I hope he can inspire like that after he gets elected. That's the real trick.

JD Rhoades said...

I'm a writer, Gerard. I know that words have power.

Anonymous said...

Rhoades, I don't get your drift. Do you mean BO has the power to sway and convince once in office?

My cynical thought on this is that every politician hopes to go to DC and get things moving and get people working together. A president who really wants to reform or rebuild will have a huge influence. But, I also think there will always be a core of nasty, greedy people to undermine that work. The "trick" to me is swaying both those people and his already existent political opponents.

John McFetridge said...

It would be so great to shut up the smug anti-Americanism in the rest of world for a while.

And yeah, where is your newspaper column?

JD Rhoades said...

Columns run every Sunday. I reprint them here. http://jdrhoades.blogspot.com/search/label/columns

LongHairedWeirdo said...

That guy can bring tears to my eyes, even when I know what he's going to say.

I think what earns him the most scorn is that he keeps saying the kinds of things that really define what America should be about, and folks figure he *has* to be faking it because it's just too damn fashionable to be cynical and jaded.

But there are times when it's better to be unfashionable, and to realize you can just as easily go wrong being too cynical as you can by being too trusting.