Thursday, February 16, 2006

AgentQuery

I've recommended this site to so many people via e-mail in the past few days that I figured it would be a good idea to blog it. I wish I'd had something like the site's "agent search database" when I was looking for an agent. It would have saved me a bunch of time. You can search by genre and, most importantly, by which agents are seeking new clients. There are also some helpful articles with tips and such.

You kids today with your newfangled technology...in my day, we had to find our agents the hard way. We crouched in doorways and alleyways, waiting for the elusive scent of latte on the morning breeze...when they came near, we pounced, waving our query letters and shrieking like banshees, "it's just like Ian Rankin, only with cats!" The agents would scatter in all directions, bounding away like gazelles. Most days we came home empty handed, stumbling back to our caves, our stomachs growling with hunger and our hearts heavy with disappointment.

Good times, those...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I had to walk uphill through the snow... both ways! ... to find my agent. Kids today, indeed.

James Lincoln Warren said...

The way I remember it is getting a bunch of other writers together and forcing the agents to stampede off a cliff at spearpoint.

At the bottom, we'd fight over the spoils. Usually, though, the agents were already dead.

The ones that survive only seem dead. That's why they never return phone calls.

David Terrenoire said...

As someone who has had four (or is it five?) agents, I wear my scars proudly, showing them off at parties and strangers' reunions.

DZ Allen said...

Thanks for the site!

My first agent ran away. So I figured I'd better do some shopping. I want to the local Great Outdoorsman and loaded up with traps, nets, tranquilizer guns, and decoys. I think I'll put all that aside and try out the website first.