Sunday, February 11, 2007

I'm Really Starting To Like This Guy

Australian Prime Minister John Howard on Barack Obama:

"If I were running al-Qaeda in Iraq, I would put a circle around March 2008 and be praying as many times as possible for a victory, not only for Obama but also for the Democrats."

Now, some candidates might take forever to respond, then come up with some weak-ass response about how this was uncalled for or not helpful, or something equally limp. But this is how Obama's campaign responded:

"If Prime Minister Howard truly believes what he says, perhaps his country should find its way to contribute more than just 1,400 troops so some American troops can come home," he said. "It's easy to talk tough when it's not your country or your troops making the sacrifices."

I love it. This is how this campaign will be won, if it's to be won at all. Some right wing loony throws some crap out about how you support terrorists, you counter punch right for the goddamn throat. I haven't picked a candidate yet, but Obama just moved up the list.

Oh, I'm sure the right wingers will have their panties in a bunch tomorrow about "insulting a valued ally." We'll probably have a few days of "is Obama bigoted against Australians".

To the right wing noise machine, no sin is as great as fighting back against a slur. If they don't punish that, then OMFG, everyone will do it.

But hopefully people will take note. Talk smack against Barack, he'll talk it right back.

Hey, that's pretty good. Somebody give me a beat!

2 comments:

Steve Malley said...

Bout damn time, too.

One thing about Howard: he's no more popular in Aussie than Dubbya is in the States. His war's been massively unpopular down here for a long, long time now, and he's clinging to office by getting paid for keeping his lips firmly glued to US bootie. Um, that is to say, by the valuable trade relationships Howard has forged with an esteemed ally.

I don't mean to rant, but here in New Zealand that war's always looked a bit suspect. And it saddens and shames me to see what's happened with my birth country.

Always hope for the future, though. Right?

Phoebe Fay said...

Yes, I'm liking Obama, too, and his response was perfect. I'm not getting my hopes up yet, since it's a long, long way to 2008, but still, I'm liking the guy more and more.