Saturday, April 18, 2009

Good. Now Take the Next Step, Governor.

The blogosphere is all-abuzz (And possibly a-Twitter, though I haven't checked) over Sarah Palin's speech in Indiana where she said she had "just for a fleeting moment" contemplated seeking an abortion after learning she was pregnant with her son Trig:

She was on a trip out of state at the time, she said, and "just for a fleeting moment I thought, 'No one knows me here; no one would ever know.' ... My amniocentesis came back and then I understood why some people would think they could change their circumstances, just take care of it. Todd didn't even know" the results of the prenatal testing yet, so "no one would know."

I actually think it's refreshing to hear one of these fundies confess in public that they've had a moment of doubt or that they've been tempted, because so many of them are so goddamn sanctimonious about everyone else's frailties. As we say down South, they act like their shit don't stink.

I may not ever like Governor Palin (unless she apologizes for all that exclusionary and divisive "real America" crap) but I respect her honesty in this situation. Further, I respect her choice.

Now, Governor, take the next step, and admit that you had a choice, so so should other women. And respect their choices, just as you ask us to respect yours. How's that sound?

4 comments:

Stephen Blackmoore said...

Asking a bit much there, don'tcha think?

Stacey Cochran said...

My shit stinks.

JD Rhoades said...

Stephen: I believe in hope.

Stacey: thanks for sharing.

Dana King said...

I'm happy to see this, if only because a right-winger acknowledged there's no sin in an impulse. None of us have control over our impulses; it's how we act on them that shows our character, or lack thereof. I respect Governor Palin for her decision, and her reasons. I just wish she and her peers would grant others the same respect and courtesy.