Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Review: PRECIOUS BLOOD, by Jonathan Hayes

Precious BloodPrecious Blood by Jonathan Hayes

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I'm usually not a fan of the serial killer genre, but this one's a good solid read. Jonathan Hayes' debut introduces Edward Jenner, who, like Hayes himself, is a Medical Examiner in New York City. Hayes has a very deft hand; he puts in just enough detail, about pathology and about life in his beloved New York, to keep the reader's interest without slowing the story down.

The main thing that makes or breaks a serial killer novel is the killer himself. At first I was afraid  Hayes' villain, who starts off by literally nailing a pretty young college student to the wall of her apartment,  was going to be a "behold my power and glory" nutcase lifted straight out of RED DRAGON. Eventually, however,he gets his own scary voice and his own twisted backstory.


Highly Recommended.


View all my reviews

No comments: