Thursday, June 01, 2006

On the Road Again

Well, I'm off to Murder in the Grove. Blogging is likely to be light, etc.

After being proved totally wrong in my misconceptions about Omaha, I am now about to discover what I don't know about Boise.

It's going to be fun, I'm sure. I'm looking forward to my panel with the amazing Twist Phelan, Carolyn Wheat, and especially Con Lehane. But I've got to tell you, all this time in airports is starting to wear on me.

Note to self: next year, back-to-back cons are Right Out.

3 comments:

Forrest Proper said...

I hope I may be excused bringing up a several-days-old topic, but there has now been a real episode of snakes on a plane.

"The much-talked-about movie "Snakes on a Plane" doesn't open until August. But Monty Coles doesn't have to see it. He's lived it. Three-thousand feet in the air on Saturday, he discovered a four-and-a-half-foot black snake peering out at him from the instrument panel of his Piper Cherokee.

Ouch.

Flip Dixon said...

Snakes on a plane?

Are we talking about Air Force One?

James Lincoln Warren said...

In the 1920s, stunt pilot Frank Drake kept a defanged western diamondback in the fuselage of his plane at Long Beach Airport to discourage kids from playing in it.

Once, taking up a drunken friend and in a rather well-lubricated condition himself, his passenger discovered the writhing snake and tried to abandon ship in mid-air. Drake landed with one hand on the stick and the other hanging on to his friend.

This episode was undoubtedly the inspiration for the opening scene of "Raiders of the Lost Ark".

It is hardly a new idea.