Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Hot-Handed God of Cops

I just saw John Woo's HARD BOILED (Chinese title: GOD OF GUNS or HOT HANDED GOD OF COPS) for the first time.

Total Body Count: 307.

Explosions.

Weapons with apparently endless supplies of ammo.

Friendship.

Betrayals.

Reversals of fortune.

Sacrifice.

Not one, but FOUR jaw-droppingly gonzo action sequences, including a one-camera, one-shot uninterrupted take that spans almost three minutes over two floors of a burning hospital, featuring the aforementioned explosions, multiple shootings, and great dialogue.

Chow Yung Fat AND Tony Leung.

Oh, and blood-spattered newborn infants.

I never need to see another film again. All other movies seem pale and empty to me now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Were you the one renting it? Couldn't get it for nothing around here past weekend.

It's a movie to own, not to rent.


Jeanne

JD Rhoades said...

Agreed...and I got it from Netflix so it's not my fault if you can't get it locally.

Stacey Cochran said...

The trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/hardboiled

Kristy Kiernan said...

And now my life seems pale and empty after reading this.

Did you actually COUNT the bodies? Or is there some cool Body Count website you got that figure from? Or can you rapidly estimate by the height of the stack of bodies? NOw THAT's a talent.

I'll check it out...

Anonymous said...

If you haven't yet seen them,
check out THE KILLER (1989)
and A BETTER TOMORROW (1986),
two more essential John Woo/Chow Yun-Fat pairings. HARD BOILED
was John Woo's last film before
he left Hong Kong for Hollywood.

--- Lindsey

JD Rhoades said...

Kristy: I confess, I cheated...I looked up the movie online and the body count was in an article I read.

Stacey: Whoo-hoo! Thanks for that.

Lindsey: I'll definitely check those out as soon as my wife and daughter let me anywhere near the Netflix queue again.