Friday, January 18, 2008

SHALLOW GRAVE, Lori G. Armstrong




This, and the other books in Lori Armstrong's Julie Collins series, are the kind of books I talk about to people until they wish I'd just shut up already.

I confess, I've fallen hard for Lori's heroine Julie Collins, a chain smoking, hard-drinking redneck woman with a serious obsession over finding the person who killed her beloved half brother. That story arc is finally resolved in this book, with devastating results for Julie. And her other obsession,with the dangerous biker warlord Tony Martinez, provides erotic sparks that are enough to raise a sweat on a bishop's forehead.

When I read Julie's stories, I think of one of my favorite Pretenders songs, "Human":

I crash and I burn, maybe some day you'll learn
I'm only human on the inside
I stumble and fall, baby, I do it all
I'm only human on the inside...

Add in Lori's gift for loving description of the landscape of her native South Dakota, and you've got...well, one of those books I talk about to people until they wish I'd just shut up already.

Check it out or I will get in your face about it again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, Dusty, man, you make me blush. Thank you.